Giuliana spent yesterday with friends in Vicenza.
I woke up and did some little jobs. At half-past 10 I met Alberto and his family at the church for mass. Afterwards they introduced me to a few people and then I came home for lunch, where I had cappelli d'angelo with cauliflower.
At half-past two I returned to the church to do some preparations for the Presepio Vivente, like cutting bread, putting olives in dishes and preparing the fire. Three-quarters of an hour later all the involved people went into the church for a few speeches and a short prayer. It was very odd seeing a church full of people in biblical costume, but it looked very good. I counted about 120 people. We left the church and walked around the whole presepio in a sort of parade, as some of the 'audience' had already arrived. Then we went to the olive grove and started picking (pretend) olives, putting (pretend) olives in trees, and serving (real) olives, dates and bread with olive oil.
Twice I went for a walk and took lots of photos. I will put a few at the bottom.
At six o'clock the prespio was officially closed. Everyone went back to the church for a few more speeches and then a couple of songs from the band and choir, who had been playing for the previous three hours. It was a jubilant atmosphere, and a conga line was formed by everyone in attendance, something else I was told was not a usual occurrence at church.
We returned briefly to the olive grove to dismantle it, and then there was a party in the church bar. There was pasta, porchetta, bread, omelette, crisps, olives and... panettone. Later there was pandoro. It was the at least the 9th time I have eaten the two cakes. I think I will suffer when they are no longer everywhere. I have been thinking that the factories that produce these must have huge warehouses so they can make the all year and release them all in December.
As Roncajette is a little town, everyone was very excited to have a foreigner, especially one not from Europe. I was very embarrassed when, first, a speech was made for me, then "For he's a jolly good fellow" was sung, in Italian.
I thought, all right, it is over now.
I was wrong. A couple came over to talk to me, as they visited Melbourne, Sydney and Perth in June. They liked Melbourne, and thought it had a nicer atmosphere than Sydney. While I was talking to them two people picked me up and carried me around the room. Just imagine how I was feeling.
Later, as we were about to leave, someone insisted that I stand on a chair and sing the national anthem. I did, and I think I was well received. Then everyone else sang the Italian national anthem, including the instrumental part.
It was a great day, and I think a Presepio Vivente is a great thing.
What an extraordinary few days you've had.
ReplyDelete....talk about not wanting to draw attention to yourself
And how exciting you'll get to Venice net week.
We've had a lovely day with Tash for her birthday xxx
I second the Gonchee's comments. What a terrific experience taking part in the Nativity play. I've never heard of anything like it here. Do you have a photo of you in costume? Should we buy up any panettones left in the shops for you when you come home? I tried it once and found it very dry.
ReplyDeleteOh Craig how amazing! Bet you're glad about all those school assemblies where you sang Advance Australia Fair. .. would have been pretty embarrassing if you didn't know the words! Sounds fantastic Craig you really are being welcomed with open arms!
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing experience the Nativity play has been for you. I could just imagine how you felt with all the attention, but feel extremely proud of you.
ReplyDeleteWow, they certainly go for the authenticity with the Presepio Vivente don't they?? Very impressive. We laughed hard at your celebrity experience. Another wonderful update Craig! Have fun Mate.
ReplyDelete