Tuesday, 20 January 2015

19th Gennaio 2015

Yesterday was Monday. Perhaps some of you were worried that my streak of PE avoiding would be broken. It sort of was, but not really.

We had an excursion in Educazione Fisica. We went ice-skating. At the start, the class was told to go from one side to the other. We were then split in to two groups – those who had some ability and those who did not. I was one of about six in the latter group.

So we learnt how to fall, twice on each side, once forwards and once backwards. Then we learnt a few tips to keep our balance. Then there were balance tests, where we had to build up momentum, bend down, stand up and then lift one leg in the air. I must say I was surprised by how quickly I learnt, and I can proudly say that if I ever go again, while I won’t be making camel spins and leaps, I want be confined to doing laps of the barrier. Then we had 20 minutes of free time, and I had lots of fun. It was great, everyone was just being enthusiastic and trying, and when someone would fall, people would laugh and help them up. I really like my class.

We returned to school for the third hour, Latin. There was a test in maths, but the teacher gave me some other questions. Finally there was literature.

After school, I came home and we had penne with radicchio sauce for lunch. I helped Giuliana proofread the textbook she is writing and then Irene came over for a lesson.


We had chicken and potatoes for dinner, followed by galani, another carnevale specialty. It is a thin biscuit deep fried in canola and almond oil and then coated in sugar. I don’t think the famous healthy Mediterranean diet applies during Carnevale. We played cards, and the Irene went home, and I went to bed. 

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your ice skating. Will you get another chance to practise? What card game do you play?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should go ice skating when you get back if you're keen? If I remember correctly I'm quite fabulous at it.
    What radicchio again? Purple cabbage perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Craig on the ice-skating. Sounds like it was a great excursion. It also sounds like you have a fantastic group of class-mates. I'm sure they will miss you greatly when you leave - but, we will be glad to have you home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We play a card game that is a little bit like solitaire. I will show you when I coe home. I would be keen to go ice skating. I believe you do remember correctly Dad!

    Radicchio is bitter purple lettuce, but it is its own vegetable. It is on wikipedia if you would like to see some photos.

    Thank you Kate, it was a great excursion. My classmates are great.

    ReplyDelete