Then physics. I got my test back, but the teacher hadn't marked it. I know that I didn't do well though. Already, looking over my day 1 translations I can find many errors, and it was (is) mostly the key words that I didn't understand.
Perhaps I should explain the Italian grading system. Each test or assignment is given a number from 0 to 10, though in reality only 2-8 are used. The pass mark is 6. It is a very subjective system, and none of my classmates are happy with it. For the physics test, one boy got every single mark but only received 8.5. I am glad that in Australia we use percentages!
Fourth hour was maths. I am a little bit concerned about maths, as I only just understand it. Nobody can answer my questions, so I just try and work it out. It is a small relief that my schoolwork here doesn't really matter, but I am at school and I want to do as well as I can, and it is quite frustrating not being able to completely grasp the knowledge, or at least feel that I know the material.
The final hour was supposed to be history, but as the teacher was away (it is the same teacher as philosophy), we were dismissed at 12:15. However, there is only one bus to the village where Giuliana lives, so I went to the library and studied Italian for an hour.
After school I had gnocchi and zucchini for lunch and then I did some work on the presentation about Australia for English. At four, we cycled to the newsagency to renew my bus pass. When we returned home, we put up the Christmas Tree. As Giuliana put it: "it has no elegance, but it's...nice." We really struggled to make it look good, but I think we eventually managed.
We popped into Stefania's at about six, and Lisa (I apologise for calling her Elisa previously) and I helped each other with our languages. Giuliana had organised to go and have pizza with friends, and offered to take me, but we agreed that it would be too late for me, since I have school tomorrow. We had planned for me to stay home by myself, but Stefania offered to have me for dinner. I stayed and it was great. We had smoked salmon on biscotti (so-so), chicken-noodle minestra, peas, potato and an unusual pork thing that was better than I had expected. Stefania's husband, whose name has escaped me, lived in Woollongong until he was nine, when he moved to Padiva. Isn't it remarkable that, on the other side of the world, I am living next door to someone from the same city, which is not a huge city, as my cousins?
I had only planned to stay until nine, but time flew and at a quarter to ten I yawned and realised the time. Stefania walked me back and I went to bed, again, exhausted.
Wow...silly how excited to hear Wollongong mentioned!!
ReplyDeleteWollongong was a major migrant destination due to the steelworks. Italians have a huge presence here still, and are probably the most well represented, followed by people from Yugoslavia who came in the next wave.
Love hearing your news - but it's also okay to give yourself a break sometimes xxx
It really is a small world. A man at my discussion group came from Padova to work on the Warragamba dam and his sister and extended still live there. He offered to give me her contacts but I felt you had enough on your plate so declined. Hope I did the right thing.
ReplyDeleteSchool sounds really different over there!! Speaking of school, a big hearty congratulations for topping every subject at school Craig. Really well done, and super proud!
ReplyDeleteHow small our world is - someone from Wollongong? Please take some photos of the Christmas tree - I would be I interested to see how it is decorated. It sounds like you are fitting into the Italian way of life really easily - especially enjoying the food I take?
ReplyDelete