Wednesday, 17 December 2014

16th Dicembre, 2014

I wasn't planning on writing about this yet, but as Dad has brought it up...

I locked Giuliana out on Monday night. She had gone out and was due home at 11:30. I went to bed at about 10, as I was waiting for sheets to dry. Before I went to bed, I locked all the doors, including the heavy wooden shutters. 

The next morning, yesterday, I answered the phone. It was Giuliana. I hadn't completely locked the wooden security door and she was unable to get the key in. She couldn't get my phone to work, so she called her sister and spent the night there. 

I was so shocked, and felt so guilty. I can't put it into words. I sent a text message to Dad, and he told Mum, and they gave me the suggestion of flowers. I was so nervous about coming home, it was all I could think about at school. I asked my friends if they knew of a florist, but as there is only one bus and Giuliana was expecting me for lunch, I went straight home.

Giuliana wasn't upset. She was a little disappointed. I apologised, and was very uncomfortable.

In between all of that, I went to school. I had maths, where we found the domain and sign of functions, English, where we compared Italian and Shakespearean sonnets,

In Chemistry, I made a groundbreaking discovery. In Italian cursive writing, the letter "m" has three humps, and "n" two. This resolved much of my confusion with equations including the elements that were "MM", "m" and "n", which all looked like variants of "m".

After science was drawing, where I studied verb conjugations. Italian is so much more difficult than English when it comes to verbs: in English, if you say "I are", you are still understood. In Italian, the subject pronoun is ignored, so the "you are" and "they are" is "sei" and "sono", respectively.

Then there was literature. There was a slideshow about an author who studied in Bolonga and Piedmont, and died in 1371, whose name I didn't catch and haven't yet worked out. 

Back to after school, we had a delicious risotto for lunch. Afterwards, I looked at sonnets in one of Giuliana's English Literature books. I feel an obligation to be ahead in English, especially as I am so hopeless in most of the others. Later, I looked up all of our physics formulae online in English. I was able to do the homework completely correctly! I am looking forward to the next physics lesson.

At  6 o'clock, Irene, Giuliana's niece, arrived for her English lesson. I helped her with the speaking and listening exercises, and I know the country name, demonym and language of every country in the EU, in Italian! Reader quiz: without cheating, what countries are Regno Unito, Paesi Bassi and Lettonia?

She stayed until 8, at which point we had spinach soup with spaghetti for dinner, then Giuliana went to a Medici con l'Africa concert. We decided that I would leave the front light on and not close the main wooden door!

I spoke to Mum, James and Tash on Skype and then went to bed. 

5 comments:

  1. isn't Paesi Bassi the Netherlands, I remember doing a project on it in grade 5 or 6 because I thought it was never land, as in peter pan and I could do the pirates and the lost boys and the ticking crocodile. I was pretty disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correct Tash!! 10 points!! Enjoy your last day of school and email me about it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you go anywhere by car? Have you got used to no bike helmets? Good luck with your presentation and Aussie dessert. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we go most places by car. The local shops are a cycle, school is a bus, church is a walk, but everything else is by car. I got used to the no helmets very quickly. Some of you would be aware of my fondness for bicycle helmets, not just on bicycles but in everyday life, especially when camping. It is conveniant not having to lock up the helmet with everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Craig, you are not the only person who has securely locked up before going to be. - I actually locked myself inside my home, and had to ring my parents to come and let me out.... Well done on knowing the countries in the EU - I would probably guess that your fellow students in Italy wouldn't know them! Good luck with your presentation on Friday.

    ReplyDelete