Monday, 8 December 2014

6th of December, 2014

A week since I left home!

I went to school in the morning. For the first two hours we had an expert come in and talk about the evolution of the Italian language. I didn't understand much. The next two hours where chemistry, and I am beginning to remember how to balance equations. Finally, we had religion. We are watching a film called Francisco, about St. Francis of Assisi. The teacher put on English subtitles for me, so I was able to understand.

In the afternoon we went to a shop to buy a tracksuit, a SIM card and a birthday card. 

At 6:30, we went to mass in a beautiful little church, only a few minutes' walk away. As usual, I didn't understand much, but I hope I will as time goes by.

On Friday, I was invited to one of my classmate's birthday party, which was on Saturday night. We met at a restaurant called Kofler Paulaner. I had pizza with tomato, brie, mozzarella and fresh speck. You may have heard of speck, but as I was, formerly, a reluctant eater of cured meats, I had not. It is a spiced ham, cured for 22 weeks, and is beautiful.

Then there was the cake. It was a sponge cake with berries and chocolate and cream icing. It was delicious.

I had a great time at the party and it was a good opportunity to learn more about my classmates.


Well, that is that.

6 comments:

  1. Craig, great to hear you are getting out and about and enjoying the cuisine and coffee! Do your classmates speak much English? Love Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A week already - how quickly time passes. How wonderful to be invited to your classmates birthday party - another experience to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Craig that is wonderful!
    What an amazing range of experiences. I'm so proud of you for trying new food,activities, language!
    Looking forward to future posts. Xx Aunty Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you're having a ball over there mate. I think you'll have to show me around the place at some stage. I love reading your updates and hearing about your experiences; it certainly sounds like you're making the most of your stay. Take care Mate. Dad x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was the birthday party similar to yours at home, or was it very different like the graduation ceremony? Are you expected to do homework? What are school hours? Is it a public or private school? I'm absolutely loving your descriptions. Tons of love, Grandma XXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. The party was very similar, just eating and talking. I even remembered enough words of "Tanti Aguri a Te" (Happy Birthday) to sing along!

    I haven't been explicitly told to do homework, except for in English. I have just been asking my classmates and taking photos of their textbooks during break.

    School starts at 8:15 and finishes at 1:15. There are five one hour classes, though the third one only goes for 50 minutes so there is a ten minute break.It is a public school.

    ReplyDelete